UniteWomen.org® ACTION calls on the U.S. Senate to immediately vote to confirm Loretta Lynch, President Obama’s nominee for U.S. Attorney General. Sign NARAL’s petition to vote on Loretta Lynch’s nomination now!
What is truly behind the U.S. Senate holding up a vote for confirming Loretta Lynch? A vote to confirm her has already been delayed longer than any nominee in recent history.
• Mitch McConnell states they cannot bring a vote to the floor until Democrats pass a Human Trafficking bill that had bi-partisan support until Democrats realized anti-abortion language was added. What does a Human Trafficking bill have to do with voting on the confirmation of Loretta Lynch? Mitch McConnell campaigned on putting the GOP in charge to end the gridlock in Congress. There is no Senate rule stating they cannot bring a vote to the floor for her confirmation until certain legislation is passed. In fact, they have confirmed several lower level nominees since he made that statement! Not only has he not ended the gridlock…he is creating it!
• Some Republicans say they will not vote for her in retaliation to President Obama’s executive orders. Every President has issued executive orders, in fact many more than President Obama, and what does that have to do with the confirmation of Loretta Lynch?
• Some Republicans say they will not vote for her in an effort to derail the President’s agenda on immigration, even though she played no role in devising the President’s immigration policies.
• The Senate has already confirmed her twice unanimously for the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. Her office has prosecuted both Democrats and Republicans for political corruption. It has gone after Wall Street banks, obtaining multibillion-dollar settlements on behalf of taxpayers. And since September 11th, no other district in the country has tried more terrorism cases. She’s been lauded for her work fighting against police brutality, sex trafficking, gang violence, and hate crimes.
With such an exemplary record and no substantive opposition to her as a nominee, there is no precedent for such obstruction. Lynch is more than qualified to lead the Department of Justice.
Therefore, one can only conclude that misogyny and racism is playing a role. Is this the legacy Republicans want?
• STOP playing partisan politics w/ #HumanTrafficking victims & holding confirmation of #LorettaLynch hostage! http://nar.al/3hj
• Surely after more than 131 days we can CONFIRM #LorettaLynch! She’s perfect for the job of AG! http://nar.al/3hj
• CONFIRM #LorettaLynch! She is totally qualified! PLZ sign/RT http://nar.al/3hj
• Denying #SexTrafficking victims access to healthcare is unconscionable enough! Plus holding #LorettaLynch Hostage? http://ow.ly/KvUXs
• #ConfirmLoretta: Plz tell UR Senators to CONFIRM #LorettaLynch http://www.unitewomen.org/uw-action/2015-u-s-senate-contact/ **ADD Twitter Handles**
• #LorettaLynch’s confirmation & #SexTrafficking victims are both being held hostage to #WarOnWomen agenda http://ow.ly/Kw7wJ
• OVER 131 days since her nomination? That’s CRAZY! Time to #ConfirmLoretta @___________________
• What’s the holdup @______________________? Vote to #ConfirmLoretta!
• #LorettaLynch is superbly qualified to be USA AG. Vote to #ConfirmLoretta’s nomination @_____________________.
• What’s the holdup? Time to #ConfirmLoretta @______________________ for USA AG!
• As your constituent @_________________________, I urge you CONFIRM #LorettaLynch for Attorney General! #ConfirmLoretta
• #LorettaLynch’s credentials are solid & her performance is superb! Please #ConfirmLoretta Immediately @_______________________
• ‘We The People’ DEMAND you #ConfirmLoretta! @________________ @______________ @___________ Don’t care what Corporations have to say.
• Inside The Senate’s SelfMade Debacle On Sex#Trafficking & #Abortion http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/senate-trafficking-debacle #HumanTrafficking #ConfirmLoretta
• #Abortion language doesn’t belong in a Justice 4 Victims of #HumanTrafficking bill. Another #SenateHostage http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/senate-trafficking-debacle
• McConnell is threatening 2 delay #Lynch confirmation until #HumanTrafficking bill is passed. #SenateHostage http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/senate-trafficking-debacle
• Will U let McConnell hold #Lynch confirmation as #SenateHostage til U agree 2 #abortion restrictions in #HumanTrafficking bill? @______________
• Holding #HumanTrafficking survivors #SenateHostage 4#WarOnWomen agenda is pathetic. http://act.weareultraviolet.org/call/human_trafficking/?t=1&referring_akid=1740.917469.ZyKhYB VoteNO #S178 @_________________
• Tell UR Senator VoteNO #S178. Holding #HumanTrafficking bill #SenateHostage NOT acceptable! http://act.weareultraviolet.org/call/human_trafficking/?t=1&referring_akid=1740.917469.ZyKhYB @___________________
• I thought our gov’t didn’t negotiate 4 hostages. But holding #Lynch #SenateHostage #HT #S178 bill is passed is OK?
• Gov’t doesn’t negotiate 4 hostages, right? But @SenateFloor will hold #Lynch confirmation & #HumanTrafficking victims hostage?
• Denying #SexTrafficking victims access to healthcare is unconscionable enough! Plus holding #LorettaLynch Hostage? @SenateFloor
• #LorettaLynch: nominated >130 days ago & has waited longer than ANY nominee for AG in past 30yrs! http://ow.ly/KvWXW misogyny? racism?
1221 Bowers Street #2225
Birmingham, Michigan 48012-2225