By an anonymous guest blogger:
This country needs to have a serious adult discussion about this campaign cycle for President of the United States. It is a discussion that will be hard to have but it is imperative we have it. For several months we have all been laughing and thinking this campaign was a joke and could not be for real. I am guilty of it as well.
I have tried to convince myself this was part of some large hoax being played on the American people. However, over the last several weeks as the rhetoric has increasingly become more vulgar and hate-filled I have had to face the reality. There is much more to what is going on. The language being used has incited violence around the country and made our country the laughing stock of the world.
Now it’s time for the adult discussion we need to have.
After watching hours and hours of video and interviews, twitter accounts, and various other public platforms and this is what I have seen AND I cannot fathom why no one else does not see the grave situation we are in.
For those in the medical field, specifically the mental health field, let me ask you this – IF you had a patient who exhibited the following symptoms what would you do?
• Grandiose Delusions
• Denial of truth/reality when presented with factual information
• Unrealistic paranoia and hatred for a group of individuals
• Hostility or suspiciousness
• Deterioration of personal hygiene
• Flat, expressionless gaze
• Inability to cry or express joy
• Inappropriate laughter or crying
• Oversleeping or insomnia
• Odd or irrational statements
• Forgetful; unable to concentrate
• Extreme reaction to criticism
• Strange use of words or way of speaking
• Delusions of persecution – Belief that others, often a vague “they,” are out to get him or her. These persecutory delusions often involve bizarre ideas and plots (e.g. “Martians are trying to poison me with radioactive particles delivered through my tap water”).
• Delusions of reference – A neutral environmental event is believed to have a special and personal meaning. For example, a person with schizophrenia might believe a billboard or a person on TV is sending a message meant specifically for them.
• Delusions of grandeur – Belief that one is a famous or important figure, such as Jesus Christ or Napolean. Alternately, delusions of grandeur may involve the belief that one has unusual powers that no one else has (e.g. the ability to fly).
• Delusions of control – Belief that one’s thoughts or actions are being controlled by outside, alien forces. Common delusions of control include thought broadcasting (“My private thoughts are being transmitted to others”), thought insertion (“Someone is planting thoughts in my head”), and thought withdrawal (“The CIA is robbing me of my thoughts”).
(source: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/schizophrenia/schizophrenia-signs-types-and-causes.htm )
Mental illness is a serious problem in this country and most people write off those with wealth or celebrity status who exhibit these symptoms as “eccentric.”
This is more than just a difference in political ideology. Racism, bigotry, xenophobia, sexism, and overall hatred for those who are “others” is bad enough, but when symptoms like those listed above are being exhibited, they are symptoms of a much larger problem.
Why has the media with all of its experts not identified this? Is it because we have become so callous about eccentricity of politicians we refuse to see what is front of us? Now some may say – “How can someone with these symptoms accomplish and be successful in their work?” The truth is thousands, if not millions, of individuals who exhibit these symptoms are very accomplished and successful in their lives until they have a psychotic break. The symptoms do not exclude individuals from succeeding in life when they are treated.
It is time for the media and their health experts to start looking into this and to investigate the clear and present danger this country is facing in individuals who exhibit these types of symptoms. Mental illness is a serious issue in this country and many go untreated or undiagnosed for many years.
If you know someone who is exhibiting the symptoms above please contact your local medical or mental health professional for more help.
1221 Bowers Street #2225
Birmingham, Michigan 48012-2225